Senior Civil Service – Pay arrangements
Guidance and performance management forms
- Guidance for approval of senior pay – April 2013 [PDF 207KB ,18 pages]
Revised guidance on senior remuneration packages. The Chief Secretary to the Treasury will continue to approve pay and remuneration levels at and above a defined threshold for all Civil Service appointments and appointments to public sector bodies which are subject to ministerial approval. The threshold remains at £142,500. The threshold for performance payments that are subject to ministerial sign-off has been lowered from £50,000 and above to more than £17,500.
- Guide to managing performance in the Senior Civil Service 2013-14 Word version| PDF version
- Performance agreement form 2013-14 Word version | PDF version
- The HR practitioners guide for SCS reward, benefits and recruitment 2010/11 [Word 367KB, 18 page]
Senior Salaries Review Body – Reports on Senior Salaries
The Senior Salaries Review Body (SSRB)[External website] provides independent advice to the Government on the remuneration of:
- the judiciary
- senior civil servants
- senior officers of the armed forces
- some Very Senior Managers (VSMs) in the National Health Service
Appointments are made by the Prime Minister.
The Review Body publish annual reports on senior salaries [External website].
Government evidence given to the SSRB for the 34th report on Senior Salaries 2012
Government evidence given to the SSRB for the 35th report on Senior Salaries 2013
Professional Skills for Government
The Professional Skills for Government programme (PSG) has been designed to help staff in all areas of the civil service develop the skills and experience needed to design and deliver 21st century services; this will have a particular effect on theSCS as the competence framework is intended to evolve into a simple leadership behavioural framework for everyone, which will be an integral part of the PSGrequirements.
SCS performance management and reward
- Performance Management Guidance for 2013/14 Word version | PDF version
- Managing Poor Performance Policy Procedures for the SCS (April 2012)