The Civil Service Fast Stream is a Talent Management programme for graduates who have the potential to become the future leaders of the Civil Service. It is ranked among the top five Times Top 100 Graduate Employers.
One of the reasons for the Fast Stream’s popularity is that it enables graduates to have real impact on life in the UK and, often, the wider world. As a Fast Streamer you will:
- Bring innovative solutions to some of the biggest issues facing society today
- Work at the heart of current affairs and key government agendas
- Engage directly with the public, helping to provide high-quality services for people from diverse communities and backgrounds
The Fast Stream also allows you to amass a wide range of experience in a very short space of time. Fast Streamers begin their careers with a series of placements or postings. These are different jobs within your department, each of which will last around 12 or 18 months. Postings give you the chance to move between projects and areas of work and gain experience in different career groupings.
Many departments also offer secondment opportunities, which you’ll be actively encouraged to take. So you may spend time working in another government department, the wider public sector, Europe or, even, business or industry.
The Graduate Fast Stream is open to people from any academic discipline. Within it, you can choose from a range of options, according to your preferences and interests.
We also have five separate Fast Stream schemes designed for specialists and other groups:
- The Analytical Fast Stream offers options for economists, statisticians, social researchers and operational researchers
- The HR Fast Stream is for graduates with a proven interest in all areas of the HR profession
- The Technology in Business Fast Stream is for graduates who understand and have a strong interest in technology
- The European Fast Stream is for graduates seeking a permanent career in the EU institutions in Brussels
- The Northern Ireland Fast Stream is for graduates wishing to make a career in the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
If you are interested in the Fast Stream programme and wish to know more please visit the Fast Stream website
How do I apply?
You must apply via the secure section of the Fast Stream website.
Once you have registered for a username and password and selected your Fast Stream scheme preferences, you will have your own personal information board, which you can view whenever you log on. This information board, known as your “Scheme Progress Page” lists all the activities you must complete and the deadlines for doing them. Each scheme you apply for will have a separate scheme progress page. You will also have your own message inbox.
It is important that you regularly check both the information board(s) and your inbox.