Welcome to the public web pages of the Government Social Research Service (GSR).
GSR exists to:
- provide government with objective, reliable, relevant and timely social research
- support the development, implementation, review and evaluation of policy and delivery
- ensure policy debate is informed by the best research evidence and thinking from the social sciences.
This is a public website containing core information about GSR’s professional standards, policies and competencies.
The purpose of the Government Social Research Service, what it does and its professional standards are described in this short summary.
If you are a researcher interested in working with government organisations you can find out more about the research they are involved in and contact them via the ESRC (Economic and Socia Research Council). (opens in a new window)
- 2014 GSR Fast Stream Scheme will open in September 2013.
As soon as we have some firm dates we will update this section
- GSR SUMMER STUDENT PLACEMENT SCHEME 2013 – NOW CLOSED
This year the Government Social Research (GSR) Team will be running a pilot scheme for summer vacation placements for social research students whose degree contains a substantial research methods component. As a pilot, it is only open to students from a limited number of universities: Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, City University London, Durham, Edinburgh, Kent, Leeds, Liverpool, LSE, Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton, University College London, Warwick and York.
For further information on how to apply for the scheme please go to the GSR recruitment link.